Saturday 15 August 2015

RECIPE: Raw cacao-banana-açai smoothie bowl

Considering I've been eating (and instagramming) this breakfast at least once a week for the past few months, I figured it was time it got the attention it deserves on the blog.

It's only my big-time fave breakfast of the summer!
Seriously. I think this bowl of goodness tastes like an indulgent chocolate pudding, BUT THEN it's super nourishing and good for you?! Like, what even. How is that possible?

Don't question it, just do it, people! It's so dreeeaaaamy *insert emoji with hearts for eyes here*
Every ingredient in this is good for you. Actually, better than good for you. Great for you, ya might say.

Superfoods galore going on in this here smoothie bowl. 
If you thought blueberries were a superfood, açai berries are pretty much a super-duperfood, if you will. And because they're concentrated in a powder, you're getting literally crazy amounts of goodness. (I use this stuff from BodyMe.)

I also adore the perfumed undertone they add to this chocolatey bowl of goodness, although it has to be said my sister is less keen - if you're trying açai for the first time it's probably best to start with just a little bit and then if you like it, add more next time.
You may recall this açai smoothie bowl from a few months ago. Well I topped it. (No pun intended.)

Adding raw cacao powder creates the most divine, rich chocolateyness, and the medjool dates do their thang by adding a caramelly sweetness. It's all naturally-sweetened, might I add, from the dates and banana, so the riper your banana when frozen the better!

I got my raw cacao powder from an independent health food shop in Bristol (there are so many amazing health shops in Bristol, I miss it) but I thiiiiink you can get it in Holland & Barrett these days. Let me know if you find it elsewhere!

Raw cacao powder is awesome - it's full of minerals and antioxidants and is a natural mood-booster so will leave you with a skip in your step.
You want your smoothie bowl to be lusciously thick, not slurpable, so start with just a splash af almond milk and add it in little bits just to get everything nicely blended.

The frozen banana will create a dreamy, thick, creamy texture. It's amaze.

And when it comes to toppings it's totally up to you! My faves are berries, nut butter (I use all-natural Meridian as it's easier to drizzle), granola, cacao nibs, chopped nuts and dessicated coconut. Go to town! I personally am a HUGE fan of lightly salted peanut butter aboard my sweet smoothie bowl.

This açai bowl is vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free and serves one. Hope you love it as much as I do!


Ingredients

50ml almond milk, plus more if needs be
1 tbsp flaxmeal (not essential but thickens and adds healthiness)
1 tbsp açai berry powder (or a bit less if you're unsure)
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
2 medjool dates, pitted (I soak mine in just-boiled water for 15 mins before to soften them)
1 very ripe frozen banana, chopped
Toppings of your choice!


Method

1. Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend! Stop to scrape down the sides and add more almond milk bit by bit if you need to. Pour into a bowl.

2. Add your toppings, dig in and enjoy a bowlful of nourishing, delicious goodness!

BodyMe kindly sent me some of their cacao bins and açai berry powder but all opinions here are honest as lying is not cool.
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Yummy and Tasty!!!

    http://www.superbdealz.com/handbags.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel can you please come to my house and make this for me? Pleeeeaaaaase??? xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua Italy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig