Wednesday 21 October 2015

RECIPE: Healthy banana-nut-oat cookies

Think of these as banana bread crossed with muesli. And take my word for it - I'm munching one riiiiight now. Don't be too jel.
You know when you really want to bake but you're not in your own kitchen and you have limited equipment? Cookies.

No fancy equipment or special baking tins required. And these cookies use super basic ingredients too. Hoorah!

I whipped these up on one of those most Sunday-ish of Sundays: I'd spent the morning reading the paper (well, in iPad form) in my PJs on the sofa - and when I say reading the paper I of course also mean pinning pictures of pancakes, fb stalking old schoolfriends' sisters' boyfriends and instagramming my breakfast - I'd been on an autumnal stroll and had done laundry, so obviously baking was the logical next activity of the day.
With 1D's Perfect playing on repeat (I'm 100% obsessed, #sorrynotsorry to the neighbours), I whipped these cookies up in no time.

They're so simple and so scrummy!

Soft and chewy with crunch and squidge from the almonds and raisins respectively - what's not to love?

They're packed full of goodness too: you've got your protein from the peanut butter and almonds, vitamins from the banana and raisins, slow-release energy from the oats and natural sweetness from the honey.
I also love that these are totally customisable:

Vegan? Sub agave syrup for the honey.
No flaxmeal? Use a normal egg?
Allergic to peanuts? Use any nut butter you like!

And of course use gluten-free oats if you need to.
You can also totally mix up the dried fruits and nuts you add in. Orrrrr you could go for chocolate chips. And I don't think anyone can argue with the fact that that would be an inspired move.

They're not overly sweet so are totally justifiable for breakfast, but they also make a great afternoon pick-me-up. Make sure your bananas are reeeaaally ripe, as that'll give your cookies flavour and sweetness.

This recipe makes eight cookies.

Ingredients

1.5 really ripe bananas, mashed
1 heaped tbsp smooth peanut butter (I use all-natural stuff)
1 tbsp honey
1 mug oats (I used a standard tea mug, not a little coffee cup)
1 tbsp flaxmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp almonds, chopped
1 tbsp raisins
A pinch of salt if your peanut butter is unsalted


Method

1. Make the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of flaxmeal with 3 tbsp water in a little bowl and set aside. Preheat the oven to 170 fan and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or foil.


2. Whisk the mashed banana, peanut butter and honey together until creamy and smooth (this mix is deeeeelish!)

3. Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the flax egg, and stir to combine.
4. Use your hands to roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls before pressing down and flattening out on the baking tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes until turning brown at the edges.

5. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Can you stop making all these healthy things, I literally just made chocolate cookies that had about 5 different types of sugar in them hahaha. These look so yum though! Banana and peanut = oh my gaaad xxx
    La Lingua Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha weeeell everyone loves multiple types of sugar sometimes, Lucy :) x

      Delete
  2. So great making! Thanks a lot, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look amazing Rachel! I'll try this recipe afternoon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig