Sunday 7 February 2016

Time To Log Off's 7 day digital detox challenge: before I begin...

It has reached crisis point.

For months - nay, years - I've known I have an unhealthy relationship with my digital devices. I joke about being a social media addict, as so many of us are, but I genuinely think I need to take action as it's not good.

The trouble is, I've thought that for ages. And I've never done anything about it because yay Instagram is always there when you're waiting for a train and ooh I'd better add a pic of my prosecco to my snapchat story and hey I'm a journalist so I need to be all over twitter all the time.

So when I got an email from Time To Log Off (you may recall I used to do some part-time work for them) inviting me to take part in a digital detox challenge, I read it with keen interest.

Actually, when I first read the title '7 Day Digital Detox Challenge' my immediate reaction was 'heeeeeell no', because I literally could not live my life or do my job if I tried to digitally detox for a whole week.

But it turns out it's not a week-long digital detox, thank goodness. Here's how the challenge goes:
And boy, is it going to be a challenge for me.

Fortunately, the kind people at Time To Log Off have sent all the bloggers bravely taking up the challenge a digital detox kit to inspire and help us. (Surely bloggers are the exact type of people who would find a digital detox the hardest?!)
I LOVE the beautiful stylish retro alarm clock (to use instead of my phone!) and am so excited to start the colouring book too.

But yes, it's going to be hard for me. That may sound silly. You may think the challenge sounds easy. But I don't think it will be. Especially not for me.

The prospect of deleting email and social media apps from my phone fills me with dread and the idea of going out without my phone scares me - what if an emergency happens!? I rely on Google Maps and City Mapper to get around and will be utterly lost without them.

The challenge starts tomorrow and ends on Valentine's Day, with the idea being that you spend the day fully focussed on your loved ones.

It's a lovely idea. Except I have no loved ones. Get out your violins, gang.

OK, that's not true. I have no boyfriend. And I guess I shall just have to wait until Monday to see the inevitable stream of notifications from all my secret admirers.

I'm not really sure what I'll do with myself tbh. Colour, I guess. AND I WON'T EVEN BE ABLE TO INSTAGRAM MY COLOURING! Well, for a day. I suppose I'll struggle through.

So it's nearly time to set my new alarm clock and begin the challenge. I'll be honest, I'm sort of dreading it, the last few days at least, but I know it'll be good for me.

Wish me luck!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Good luck Rachel! You'll crush it, natch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! It doesn't sound easy at all - the alarm clock one is a good idea but some of the others are pretty hard! Society just assumes you'll be easy to reach now so removing emails from phones and going out without your phone could lead to some awk situations! Better get employers and friends and families on board too haha xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua | Travel, Food, Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope this has been going well! I have a few bad habits of things like checking my emails before I'm even out of bed so I'd certainly think about doing something like this.
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I'm exactly the same! Good luck x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig