Friday 14 November 2014

Ludicrously skinny, scrummy and simple peanut butter banana pancakes


Oh my god you guys, I have massively won at healthy brunch. 

Actually, not even brunch but just breakfast - these are so good-for-you and low-cal you can totally have lunch as well.


But sweet lord in heaven above, they are ludicrously delicious. 

Like seriously, mind-blowingly tasty


So insanely good that I made them twice in three days. I've been dying to share the recipe with you ever since!

They're super flavoursome, bursting with peanut buttery banana-y goodness, which is then a match made in heaven with the Choc Shot and berries I like to top mine with. 


They've got that classic American fluffy pancake texture going on which is quite frankly a marvel considering they don't contain any flour. That's right: NO FLOUR!

Although, they're slightly squidgier than traditional pancakes, but hey, I for one enjoy the squidge. 


The egg makes them rise, but they don't seem eggy or omeletty at all, neither in taste not texture. 

These pancakes are actually an ideal breakfast because they're super healthy and really filling too. 

What with the egg and peanut butter they're blimmin' bursting with protein to fill you up for the day and beautiful energising banana will give you a fab morning boost. 


What's more, you get a huge portion for one person and they're so low cal - for seven pancakes (which I consider to be one serving), I've calculated it's about 300 calories. Insane, right?

Obviously if you smother your pancake stack in Nutella your calorie count is going to shimmy on up a bit but in the name of all that is delicious, I think that may have to occur. 

I like to go for a drizzle of all-natural, low-cal Choc Shot myself so finish feeling oh-so-virtuous. 

You know what would also be epic though? Chocolate chips in the pancake batter. Go on. I dare ya. 


And oh ma days, are these babies simple. I bet you're expecting me to list a load of weird protein powders and whatnot, aren't you? Well no, siree! All you need is three ingredients. THREE! And they're normal things you probably already have too: 
  • Banana
  • Egg
  • Peanut butter

Oh, and depending on the size of your egg/banana you may need a splash of milk (I used almond milk) but everyone has milk, right?


So to sum up, these pancakes are a little bit wonderful. 

I'll be honest, I'm feeling pretty damn pleased with myself for concocting them. Yup, I'm a smidge smug. So I really really hope you guys love these pancakes as much as I do. 

I just can't get over how amazing they taste and then how healthy they are!

Sorry, I really should calm down. 

This recipe is for one portion (a stack of seven pancakes) but could easily be increased to serve more. 


It's crucial your banana is super duper ripe (like, brown ripe) as this will give your pancakes more flavour and natural sweetness. 

Now I want these pancakes again.


Ingredients

1 super ripe banana
1 egg
1 large tbsp smooth peanut butter 
(A splash of milk if needs be - I used unsweetened almond milk)


Method

1. Mash your banana. 

2. Add the egg and whisk in well. 

3. Whisk in the peanut butter until you have a smoothish batter. Add a splash of milk if you think it needs it. 


4. Either use kitchen roll to wipe a tiny drop of oil round a non-stick frying pan or place a circle of non-stick parchment on the cooler hot-plate of an Aga. Leave to heat up for a few minutes. 

5. Drop large spoonfuls of the batter into the pan and watch them spread and small bubbles appear on the surface. 



Cook for about 1-2 minutes over a medium heat then flip over and cook another minute or so until brown (these go a bit darker than traditional pancakes, fear not.)

6. Stack up on a plate, top with whatever you fancy and prepare to enter healthy heaven...


Do let me know what you think!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I would never have guessed these were healthy pancakes, the texture looks perfect. They look delicious, you can't beat a tall stack of pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you serious. omg. this looks like food sent down from the heavens and here I am eating cereal. Basically, I'm going to try this for sure tomorrow morning--thank you for changing my life! ;D hahaa

    <(') Hoda | JooJoo Azad

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! I've made ones with flour before, but I might need to go find some peanut butter and make these tomorrow morning - yum! x

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Student Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut butter is always an essential... hope you loved them! x

      Delete
  4. If only you knew how many times i clicked on this post just to look at those pancakes. They actually look amazing! Its kinda shocking that they're healthy aswell, can't wait to try make 'em. *

    withloveshanice xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, I love it, Shanice! Hope you enjoy them X

      Delete
  5. I read this post and made them straight away, that evening!. So simple and yummy and not to forget healthy! I think my "dash" of milk was a bit too much though because they sort of fell apart when I flipped them over.
    But will definately be making these often!
    maybe they will even replace normal pancakes on pancake day :)

    www.justthealpsbetweenus.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you made them, Julie! Ahh sorry, maybe I should've been more specific with the milk. Hope they go a bit better next time! X

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig