Sunday 5 January 2014

RECIPE: 5:2 Diet Fast Day banana, blueberry and cinnamon pancakes


Pancakes? On a fast day?!* Yes, really. And they're yummy!

I'll be honest with you, they don't have the texture of normal pancakes - they're eggier, almost like sweet little omelette cakes. They are, however, tasty. And I don't even like omelettes because of the texture.

Please don't go into this expecting normal pancakes, as you may be ever so slightly disappointed. That said, I still think they're definitely worth trying, and may even give you some food to actually look forward to on your fast day!

This recipe was inspired by Nic's Nutrition's two-ingredient pancakes, buuuut I jazzed mine up to make them more interesting. I find you need lots of exciting flavours on your fast days to tantalise your tastebuds and leave you feeling satisfied.

At around 250 calories, these are perfect for a fast day consisting of two meals. For a woman, it's half your daily allowance. I managed to wait until lunchtime and then whip up these babies as a brunch, leaving me 250 calories for dinner.


Considering it's a fast meal, I think you get a good portion and a pretty sizeable stack of pancakes here! On fast days, you want to stay clear of carbs and go heavy on the protein, fruit and veg. Thus, these pancakes are perfect and should keep hunger pangs at bay for a few hours at least.

The flavour combo is delish, and I once read that cinnamon speeds up your metabolism, so that's just an added bonus really. Oh, and they're totally gluten-free too!

If you have a few more calories to spare you could of course drizzle your pancakes with honey or syrup, or perhaps spread with Nutella or peanut butter, but thanks to the juicy blueberries bursting within, they really are sufficiently flavoursome and moist as they are.

I wasn't going to blog the recipe as I didn't think they were the most astounding of my creations, but the response to my Instagram snap revealed people were loving the look of these babies. I suppose as far as fast day meals go, this is a pretty good one.

Use the ripest banana you can find, as that will result in sweeter, more flavoursome pancakes.

Serves 1 (about six pancakes)



Ingredients

1 medium banana
2 small-medium eggs (mine were from our own hens so are super yellow!)
1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon, depending on how strong a flavour you like
1 sachet calorie-free sweetener (I used Splenda)
About 10 blueberries, cut into halves


Method

1. Start by mashing the banana in a bowl until it's smooth.

2. Add the eggs and whisk well until you have a smooth batter.

3. Whisk in the cinnamon and half the sweetener, then the blueberries, taking care not to mush them up.

4. If you're using a frying pan, pop it on a gentle heat with a drop of cooking oil or low-cal cooking spray and leave to heat up for a few minutes. If you're using an Aga (as I was), pop a circle of non-stick parchment on to the cooler hot plate. Drop large spoonfuls of the mix into the pan/onto the hot plate and leave to cook for a few minutes.



When brown, flip over with a spatula and cook the other side. Stack up on a plate, sprinkle the rest of the sweetener on top and dig in, savouring those sacred calories.


*Don't know what the bajeezus I'm on about when I say 'fast day'? Firstly, where have you been!? Secondly, allow me to explain... Read this, ma friends, and prepare to be enlightened, shocked and amazed.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Just bananas and eggs for the batter? EASY. I'm in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's as simple as that! Hope you enjoy them :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig