Tuesday 20 January 2015

RECIPE: Healthy two-ingredient almond butter cups.


I was despairing. The essay I'd been set had driven me to tears. Yes, really. Degrees ain't easy, kids.

And what do I automatically look to for comfort in times of despair? You guessed it: chocolate and tea.

The essay meant I didn't even have painted nails... I KNOW!
But I'm not meant to be eating dairy or sugar as part of my Honestly Healthy lifestyle, hmm...

Challenge accepted.


And these, my dears, these dreamy healthy versions of my beloved peanut butter cups, are what I concocted.


They are goooood!

Being in the midst of essay distress I didn't have hours to spend making comforting treats, so with just two ingredients these simple babies were perf.

I'd seen similar things in recipe books and online, but they all seemed to have a displeasingly long ingredient list. Not my almond butter cups.


I wasn't sure if my concoction would work, but it did. And I am blimmin' pleased.

The gorgeous cacao hits your chocolate craving, and the subtle sweetness marries perfectly with the slightly salty almond butter. I used these cacao drops (found in Waitrose):


The texture contrast is pretty dreamy too.


I think I’m going to try them with cashew and hazelnut butters too. Oh alright, and I’ll probably do them with peanut butter too even if it is acid-forming. Because HELLO, peanut butter plus chocolate is pretty much the ultimate.


This makes six almond butter cups. Who knew something so great could come out of despair?


Ingredients

About 2 tbsp cacao drops (or use dark chocolate)
About 2 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of your choice)


Method

1. Pop six mini cake cases into a mini cake tin and gently melt the cacao either in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water.

2. Remove from the heat and drop a teaspoonful of velvety smooth melted cacao into each paper case. Carefully spread across the bottom and halfway up the sides.


Pop the tray into the freezer to set for about 8-10 minutes.

3. Remove from the freezer and carefully spread a teaspoonful of almond butter into each cup.


Top each with another teaspoonful of melted cacao, making sure it's spread right to the edges.


4. Pop the tray back in the freezer for another 8-10 minutes until set. If they're not devoured instantly, keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. These look delicious! The perfect snack to curb cravings without eating too badly. I usually make mine with peanut butter but will have to try making them with almond butter as these sound great xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig