Wednesday 16 March 2016

A sunny spring weekend in Oxford (in pictures)

I really enjoy my job, don't get me wrong. But by Jove! When you work Monday to Friday, the weekends are amazing!

Last weekend I waved goodbye to London and ventured up to pretty Oxford. My old uni pal, the lovely Stef, is now doing a PGCE there (I know, get her), and as it was her birthday, we decided that was the perfect excuse to get a group together and have a weekend in Oxford.

Oh and I recommend the X90 bus between Oxford and London. It's amazing and super cheap.

I'd only been once before and had barely seen the city so was super excited to explore, not to mention to see my lovely friends again. I do feel lucky to have such wonderful people in my life, and I love that now that we don't all see each other every day like we did as students, everyone makes the effort to travel across the country to meet up.

Anyhoo, we were lucky with the weather. I'm pretty sure the gorgeous architecture in Oxford would look magical in any weather conditions, but when bathed in warm spring sunlight the city seemed to glow. It was gorgeous.

I actually kinda fangirled when thinking about how many great people from throughout history had studied at Oxford and walked those same streets.

On Saturday night we celebrated as 23 year olds do, doing each other's hair and make-up in classic girly fashion. If you're ever in Oxford, I recommend a trip to the cocktail bar Freud. Steffi had warned us that it was pretty pricey, but for me and Frankie (the two Londoners of the group), it was amazingly cheap. Lolz for London prices.

Sunday started with all the carbs followed by meandering through the town and a stop off at a lovely pub for lunch.

Oxford also has this incredible big park which was nearly totally flooded last weekend (you'll see what I mean if you scroll down, mes amis). We wandered through, past swans, dogs and joggers, feeling as if we were miles from the city.

It was the best weekend!

(Some photos stolen from Sophie and Frankie)

What are your thoughts on Oxford? 
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Bleeding hell you WERE lucky with the weather - look at that blue sky!! I've wanted to go to Oxford for ages because the architecture there is sooooo beautiful...this post has reminded me to book a trip!!

    Ps. https://sites.google.com/site/pipdigz/josefin-sans-pin.png <-- this photo is SO lush!! Could be an iPhone background.

    xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was amazing! Definitely go to Oxford :) x

      Delete
  2. It looks so beautiful !
    Alexandra xx
    http://littlefrenchblog.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like Oxford, but I definitely prefer Cambridge for a weekend wander! x

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Student Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how many of you were wearing stripes? Haha! I was meant to meet my Erasmus friends in Oxford a couple of weeks ago but there were works on the rail lines :( can't wait to go though, I haven't been in years! Definitely going to try Freud out, it's just too appropriate! xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua | Food, Travel, Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh my goodness I hadn't even noticed that, oops. Oh stupid rail lines. Hope you get to go soon, and yes, definitely go to Freud :) x

      Delete
  5. How fun! I've always wanted to visit Oxford!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig