Tuesday 4 January 2011

Cambridge decisions are coming...

It's that time of year again. You know the one. (No, I don't mean when everyone makes resolutions and shells out for pricey gym memberships - althouhg it is that time too.) It's Cambridge University decision time. Teenagers around the world are sitting nervously at home, rushing to the post every morning (or in my case, afternoon. We never get our post till about 4pm - bloody Royal Mail) to see if they've got a letter from THE ALL POWERFUL UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE. Dun dun DUN!

Everyone tells you that the letter will arrive "in early January", but no-one knows anything more precise than that. To quote a friend and fellow applicant who texted me earlier today: "WHY WILL THE LETTER NOT ARRIVE?! I'm honestly about to explode with tension..."

The thing is, whether you think you're going to get in or don't really have a hope in hell (I fall into the latter camp), you just want to know, to be put out of your misery. Because while we're in this waiting period, there's still the teensiest glimmer of hope inside us that imagines what it would be like to be offered a place, and getting your hopes up is the worst possible thing we can do - but it's so damn hard not to. I've found myself comletely overanalysing my interviews - sometimes, looking back on it and thinking they were absolutely awful, but then occasionally remembering bits that seemed to go well (and then hitting myself in the head to try and stop getting my hopes up).

I mean, the chances are incredibly slim. But while we wait, the fact of the matter is that there is still a chance. And it's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster of a thing to go through. Not the most brill timing either, what with most of us trying to revise for January exams, but finding our thoughts constantly consumed with Cambridge. C'mon! You would be too - it's a majorly big deal. And we worked SO hard!

My interviews and test were four weeks ago yesterday. I came out of them thinking I would never get a place, and feeling alright about it, not too bothered and all, but the whole thing's become harder. I don't know why. It's not so bad for the Oxford people - they get their offers or rejections before Christmas and all the pooling is already done. Whereas with Cambridge, if you're pooled you could be waiting for the final decision for another couple of weeks. ARGH - it's rather dragged out. I bet they made all the decisions a few days after the interviews to be honest. It's not as if they've been deciding it all over Christmas and New Year is it?

Well, what will be will be, and we shall see (hopefully sooner rather than later though!) I must admit that it's all very exciting because I've got loads of friends who've applied too. Good luck to anyone who's waiting to hear! I just hope the Royal Mail don't make this take any longer than it needs too
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig