Monday 3 April 2017

Brunch at Smith & Wollensky, London

A steak restaurant might be a slightly rogue choice for brunch, but stick with me, I think you might be swayed.

Smith & Wollensky is an American steakhouse but they opened their first branch across the pond almost two years ago. Just off the Strand, it's a brilliant central location but it's unlikely you'd have walked past.

From the outside, it looks like it's been dropped straight out of New York, and the interior is similarly cool.
Elegant and stylish with the most wonderful 20s vibe, I couldn't help but imagine how fabulous a spot Smith & Wollensky would be for a party.

I was there for brunch with my dear friend Caroline - we hadn't seen each other for months so had a hell of a lot of catching up to do, and Smith & Wollensky provided the ideal setting.

Despite them not being on the drinks menu, our craving for Buck's Fizzes was gladly satisfied.
I do love a Buck's Fizz.

As someone who actually doesn't like steak (please don't hate me), I was originally concerned that Smith & Wollensky would have nothing for me. But I was wrong, chums. Boy, was I wrong.
Helloooooo, burger!
Dayum, this was an exceptional burger. As one would expect from a fine steak restaurant, the quality was noticeably higher than your average high street burger joint. It was just so buttery!
Caroline went for the signature steak sandwich and loved it.
Oh, and by this point I'd moved on to a bellini and highly enjoyed its pinkness.

Alongside our burgers we shared some hashed brown potatoes.
It wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was utterly delicious.

And purely for the sake of health...
A spot of salad. Which was, ya know, salad.

Then we sat and chatted and explored the restaurant and generally digested our huge, meaty meals.

A little while later, we decided we could go for another bellini and Buck's Fizz. We placed our order, but a few minutes later the bartender came over and said he didn't want to make them.

Um, what? Why wouldn't he make our drinks?

Well, he said they were boring and he wanted to make something more exciting.  Now, I always trust a bartender so was happy to go with it...
We were duly brought two Old Cubans - like the lovechild of champagne and a mojito, it was ace. Did you know the drink was invented by a woman called Audrey Sanders? Well it was.

And by this point we were ready for something sweet. Don't try and tell me multiple courses for brunch isn't a thing. It's totally a thing.
 For Caroline, a rather ridiculously epic stack of blueberry pancakes.
 So fluffy and thick! Proper American pancakes.
Because I am powerless to resist, I went for the sticky toffee pudding.
Less American, equally delicious.
Ohhhhh it was so so very tasty. There's nothing worse than a dry sticky toffee, and this was far from it.

The staff and service had been absolutely delightful throughout and the food was, quite frankly, faultless. Quote Caroline: "Everything was delicious."

I'll definitely be going back (maybe for a Great Gatsby-themed party..?).

Caroline and I were guests at Smith & Wollensky but all opinions are honest.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Ahh it all looks so good! Your waiter sounds great, I love when waiters are clearly passionate enough to have favourites and recommend things! x
    www.misszarabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old Cuban cocktails sound brilliant - yummy! I can't ever resist a sticky toffee pudding either. What a fabulous brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Sticky Toffee Pudding looks like perfection!

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in the Middle East - You have NO idea how much I miss bacon. The pancakes look amazing too. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hope you can come on over for some soon x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig