Monday 16 January 2017

Fancy Funkin Chicken, Brixton


I'm not going to sugarcoat it - I think Fancy Funkin Chicken is a stupid name for a restaurant.

It sounds like one of those high street chicken shops you get in grotty areas of cities where the signs are always red, blue and white.

The thing is, Fancy Funkin Chicken (or FFC, as it will henceforth be known in this blog post) really isn't like one of those places at all.

New to Brixton, FFC's website says their mission is "to elevate the humble chicken into something a bit fancier". Now, I am all for that, but I don't think the name of the place is helping their cause in the slightest.

Name aside, I loved FFC. And it was a great spot for a January Tuesday evening catch-up with my dear chum and fellow South Londoner, Frankie.
The aesthetic of FFC is what I would call trendy stripped-down Brooklyn loft - think exposed brick walls, wooden tables, mismatched chairs, metal beams and neon lights in the window.

With a focus on cocktails and chicken, it's a good thing neither Frankie nor I are doing Dry January or Veganuary. We kicked things off with cocktails:
Also: sparkle is for life, not just for Christmas.

I had the passion fruit daisy: Tequila, Aperol, fresh passion fruit, Passoa liqueur and a splash of lime, and as a passion fruit-lover I highly enjoyed it.

Frankie had one of the two off-menu specials, and I actually really liked that there were cocktails on offer simply based on the ingredients they had.

As you may have guessed, you smart cookie you, the menu features a lot of chicken. The main three categories are burgers, wings and salads, but there are a few veggie options too.

Now, if you follow me on Instagram, you probably know I'm a bit of a burger nut. But despite that, I never get chicken burgers - I'm all about dat beef. My meal at FFC, however, made me think I may have to make more time for chicken burgers in my life...
Frankie and I both had the big cheese burger - you could choose whether you wanted chicken breast or thigh (we both went for breast), and our burgers consisted of chicken, triple cheese, bacon, caramelised onion and salad in a sesame bun, only I swapped out bacon for avocado in mine.
It. Was. Epic.

My burger was amazingly tasty and seriously exceeded my expectations. There was looaaads of cheese and I have to say I thought my addition of avocado was rather an excellent idea. 10/10 would eat again.

Alongside our burgers, Frankie and I shared a couple of sides.
Chilli cheese fries and corn fritters. I was concerned the fries would be too spicy for me but they weren't, they were delish actually. A huge portion too.

I loved the corn fritters even more though - I have no idea what they actually were but I suggest you get them - they were crisp on the outside, fluffy inside with sweet corny flavour. Yum.

We may have been totally full by this point, but as I always say: a meal is not complete unless it ends with something sweet (feel free to pin that to your pinterest inspiration board, guys).

Unfortunately, however, the puddings were both a bit of a let down and a bit of a wait (although granted, digestion time was not unwelcome).
I had the chocolate brownie, Frankie had the waffle.

My brownie was good and I enjoyed that it was warm, but the ice cream let it down - it had a nice flavour but was a bit icy in texture, not creamy enough in my opinion.

Frankie's waffle was unfortunately a bit disappointing in that it was weirdly hard rather than fluffy as one would hope.

Overall, it had been a fab dinner - I'll definitely be back for another cheesy chicken burger and corn fritters, but next time I'll skip the puds and have some chocolate at home instead.

Frankie and I were guests at Fancy Funkin Chicken but all opinions are 100% honest.
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Oh my goodness that burger looks absolutely incredible! I'd never think to have a chicken burger in a restaurant either but after seeing how good that one looks I might be a bit more open-minded next time there's one on the menu! X
    misszarabelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your top Rachel, you look so lovely! Where is it from? Shame about the desserts but the rest sounds amazing. It reminds me a bit of Absurd Bird, if you get the chance to try them their desserts DO NOT let down (cookies and milk is the best thing in the world, I promise) xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua | Life, Travel, Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lucy - it's Zara's finest. Ooh I shall definitely have to check out Absurd Bird, thanks x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig